Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I like BIG butts

One thing, among many, that a foreigner in a new setting must come to terms with is the fact that travel is a solitary experience.  Sure, you may walk the Great Wall with your wife.  Or lounge on the southern coast of Taiwan with a crowd of tourists.  But at its heart, travel is about leaving.  Going away.  Not so much on a holiday, but just going.

      Deep in the jeans she's wearin', I'm hooked and I can't stop starin'

Languages are different.  Cultures are strange.  Stares.  Smells.  People.  Its all foreign.  Odd.  Unknown.

      Oh baby, I wanna get with ya, and take yo' picture

The traveler soon learns he must become a skilled thespian on the local stage where he finds himselfif he hopes to eat, that is.  For words are no longer a means of communication.  At least not for you.  The rest of them, all of those people staring at you, they can speakto each other.  But you, you are different.  Your words have no meaning.

      My homeboys tried to warn me, but that butt you got makes me so horny

Here, you are the odd ball. You have the handicap.  You are the guy that needs special accommodations.  Because, well, you cant speak.  Your thoughts, needs, questions, etc.  Youre like a helpless infant who craps his diaper.  All you can do is cry and hope someone comes to the rescue.

      I just can't help myself, I'm actin' like an animal

What do you want? 
A hotel?  Pretend youre sleeping.  Or showering.
Food?  Pretend you have a fork in your hand.  Chew something.  Or nothing.
Toilet?  Pretend to pee.  Or make noises and point to your backside.

      I wanna get you home and uuugh, double up, uuugh uuugh

This is the adventure of travel.  Its funat times.  Other timesnot so much. 

      I want 'em real thick and juicy, so find that juicy double

Despite the frustrations weve experienced, the simple objects we cant seem to buy at Homeplus, the bus station we cant find or ask directions to, the overall confusion, etc. etc. etc., I would contend that there exists no greater drawback to being unable to communicate than when something is so funny that you cant help but pee on yourself, but you cant explain it to anyone.  You laugh like a maniac, you see the irony in it all, you cant believe the situation you find yourself inbut you must necessarily keep it all to yourself.  Its almost painful.

     Mix-a-lot's in trouble, beggin' for a piece of that bubble

Like Field Day at Buseok Elementary School.  An outside company is hired to set up the event.  They decorate the field in front of the school with an international flag display.  They line the area with running lanes.  They judge the races.  Officiate the medal ceremony.  The principal has his own tent, under which he hosts various dignitaries.  All clad in suits, looking very important.  Its a big day in the life of the school.

      'Cause I'm long, and I'm strong, and I'm down to get the friction on

But the best part of the day, the part that separates the spectacle from American Field Days (at least the yearly spring event at the elementary school where I attended) is the final chapter.  The culmination of the most celebrated day of the year for the children.  The Dance Party.

      If you wanna role in my Mercedes, then turn around, stick it out

I never saw it coming.  The children (kindergarten-6th grade) were corralled into small groups, spread out across the field of play.  Suddenly, and much to my delight, that now (in)famous beat burst forth from the rented loud-speakers.  Sir Mix-a-lot was in the house.

      Dial 1-900-MIX-A-LOT and kick them nasty thoughts

The children (again, kindergarten-6th grade) began to gyrate.  One at a time, on the cue of a whistle, they took turns shakin what theyre mama gave em in the middle of each circle.  It was all very Soul Train-ish.  The highlight of the year for me. 

      So fellas, has your girlfriend got the butt?  Tell 'em to shake it, shake it

But the best part was that all of the adults smiled and laughed, completely clueless.  Teachers.  Principal.  Vice principal.  Parents.  Guests.  They tried to hide the fact that they were slyly moving to the rhythm.  The worst part is that I could never even begin to explain the lyrics, the message of the song, and why this was all so funny.

      My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun


Wait.  What?




4 comments:

  1. Your killing me Jake.....good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm sure anthony ray would be pleased to know that his music has crossed so many (if unintended) barriers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you caught me by surprise! So Funny! Love this stuff, brother. I look forward to each entry.

    ReplyDelete